The goals and objectives of this educational program will be are divided into short term and long term goals:
Short term goals
The main focus of the institute here will be to run Masters degree programs relevant to maternal and child health. The two proposed Masters program included (1.) Masters in Women’s Health and Reproductive Science (M.Sc. Women’s Health & Reproductive Science) and (2.) Masters in Adolescent and Child Health (M.Sc. Adolescent & Child Health). Besides these Masters programs above, the institute will also run a diploma program in Maternal and Child Health (Dip. Maternal & Child Health). It will also periodically organize short certificate programs based on issues and challenges in reproductive/women’s health as well as adolescent/child health.
With respect to the Institute’s Masters degree programs, the research priorities and activities will include:
- To assess the individual, community, organizational and societal health needs of women, children, and families.
- To assess existing health related data and data sources on the health and well-being of women, children and families.
- To plan, design, implement, evaluate and communicate programs and research targeted toward health promotion, disease prevention among women, children, and families.
- To undertake research into the areas of reproductive and child health in communities in south east Nigeria and to disseminate results of such research through seminars, conferences, etc. Top priority here will be given to improving perinatal outcome in communities within the entire south east Nigeria and beyond.
- To identify factors responsible for near misses and maternal deaths and to take appropriate actions to ameliorate the factors and improve maternal health.
- To critically examine problems of adolescent education and health in communities with a view to improving their aptitude to productivity.
- To provide basic data on the nutritional status of under-five children in communities with a view to planning informed intervention strategies within the area.
Long term goals
In the long term, the Institute will support postgraduate doctoral academic programs in Maternal and Child Health (PhD. Maternal and Child Health), and some subspecialties of Paediatrics and Obstetrics/Gynaecology. These doctoral programs will research into the genetic predisposition and molecular causes of diseases and disorders of women and children in our country. The major focus and priorities here will include the following:
- To attract research grants for ground breaking research and clinical trials on interventions that will ameliorate the common causes of maternal and child health disorders in our geo-political zone and beyond.
- To undertake Health Promotive and Training Activities.
- Run short term courses in vaccinology and other topical public health areas
- Run update courses in subspecialty areas
- To rejuvenate the School Health Programme in communities within the catchment zone of the institute with the aim of highlighting the pivotal role of primary and secondary schools in inter-sectoral collaboration in the given communities.
- To provide facilities for training post-graduate health care personnel such that the products of the institution .should have the ability to formulate appropriate and measurable program objectives, involve people and organizations in planning, develop a program plan with a logical scope and sequence, design strategies, interventions and programs that are consistent with the program objectives, select appropriate strategies to meet objectives and assess factors that may affect program implementation.